Old 08-12-2003, 05:42 PM
len gardener

Default Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

there is someone in tasmania working along those lines as i understand
it he doesn't even have power, not sure now where i've seen his posts,
but maybe you could post this question in aus.gardens, or
http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/ozgard/.

we have near 70 acres here in queensland in aus', can't live without
power/phone etc.,. could grow enough veges on 2 to 5 acres need more
to grow enough fruit but we love our meat so could never grow enough
chooks/ducks/beef to keep the freezer full. then there are the things
like sugar, salt, tea/coffee, fuel, soap etc.,. so maybe partial self
sufficiency is attainable? could be a full time job just doing enough
to survive. and like you say then the affects of climate/weather kick
in.

where starting off simply trying to supplement, so far w don't buy
much in the vege line, but being in the sub-tropics can't imagine how
to grow enough potatoes, sweet potatoes yes but then not every body
likes them in the diet.

just my thoughts keep us informed on how you as you go along.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening