Old 08-12-2003, 05:42 PM
A.T. Hagan

Default Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

Ian Stirling wrote in message ...
In misc.survivalism Down Under On The Bucket Farm wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I am working on long-term plans for self-sufficiency, oriented to
buying some bare land and building an off-grid house, rainwater
catchment, composting toilet, etc, etc.

One issue is the question of how much physical space would be
needed to grow enough food to completely support myself?

The answer kind of depends if you'r in the middle of the Amazon, Antarctica,
or Austria.

As Ian points out we'd need to know generally where you want to
attempt this project. It's one thing to try it in the Southeast and
quite another to try it in the Intermountain West.

We'd also need to have a fair idea of what your choice of diet would
be. The typical American eats a fair amount of meat, consumes a good
deal of fat, and an even greater amount of sugar in his diet. All
three of these will impact heavily on how much land you'd need to
maintain your customary diet.

Should you happen to be a vegetarian who does not customarily eat a
lot of fats or sugar matters become much simpler.

No matter how you cut it true subsistence farming is a time consuming
occupation even with a high degree of mechanization. It can be done,
but if you're not already an avid gardener you'd best be ready for a
major lifestyle change.

Gene Logsdon has published a number of books concerning homesteading -
which is generally what you're talking about here - and they'll go a
long way to pointing out the particulars of your project. In
conjunction with spending some time with your local county
agricultural agent to gain familiarity with local conditions you'll be
a long ways towards understanding what it is you're wanting to do.

My advice is to start small. Plant a reasonable sized vegetable
garden to supply your fresh summer veggies. If you succeed with that
expand your operation to supply your winter veggies - fresh or
preserved. Then add in either small scale grain growing or small
scale livestock such as chickens or rabbits.

You manage all that and you'll have a very good idea of what you need
to do to flesh out the rest of the plan.

......Alan.