Old 08-12-2003, 09:41 PM
Kenni Judd

Default Are Vandas That Difficult ?

Whether a particular orchid is deemed "hard" or "easy" to grow depends on
the grower's habits, location, etc. Here in So. Fla., many people consider
vandaceous plants easier to grow than phals. [I even have one client who
can grow everything BUT phals ...].

However, the needs of the two different types of plants are very different.
Here, vandas are generally grown outdoors in very little shade [hanging in a
palm tree, or on a pool enclosure under just the screening]. For much of
the year, Mother Nature provides ample water, so the only real "pain" is
dragging them into the guest bathroom for a night or three, two or three
times a year, when we get our brief interludes of winter cold. So that the
plants can stand up to our summer rains, they're generally grown in slat
baskets with little or no potting medium.

In a strictly indoor situation, it can be (1) difficult to provide enough
light and (2) tedious to water them every day or two. If you need to grow
yours potted, so as to water less often and less messily, I recommend that
you start with one already established in pot culture rather than trying to
"re-train" one that's been grown "bare in the basket" for its entire life.

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"susan' scott" wrote in message
I've heard that vandas are more difficult to grow than Phals or Catts. Is
this true? I would love to try one. Does anyone have information to make
growing a Vanda succesful?