Old 09-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] more aerial roots on ficus

Good Day to All,
Jerry,Craig,

just an odd point to state.I had a friend leave a
ficus.b with me.About 12 years old[originally
from a cutting in my yard.]and quite large/tall.
It was potted in the quarter of a black plastic
55 gal.[US] barrel.

The lowest branch developed a single root and
I allowed it to grow.When it had reached pencil
thickness I cut off the branch,leaving 2" of the
original branch with about twenty leaves.

The branch grew and continues to grow.The tree
died - huh.
Did the heart of the tree exist in the lowest branch?
Another nail in the Ficus coffin.
[I am a staunch member of what the %$#@&^% does
anyone do with a Ficus Club - I don't hate the tree,but
they are so difficult to give tree like presence.]

Ficus I believe is the tree of the Master/Experienced
Bonsai-ist,not the beginner.Too difficult to keep
trained because of it's peculiar habits.
Khaimraj Seepersad
West Indies/Caribbean,
Full moon and dry weather !!!