Old 09-12-2003, 02:03 AM
wheel

Default Plum tree cuttings - can they be planted?

Hi

That is good news. The tree was just cut yesterday. I have other plums
around. I'll try to read up on grafting... Here, it's a Mediterranean
climate, our elms have just about lost all leaves finally. I'm not sure
what that would be for dormancy tho...

In article ,
says...
Yes, you can. You must either have a plum tree or buy a plum tree root
stock and graft one of the twigs (scion) on to it. There are plenty of
things on the web about how to do grafting. I don't know how long ago
you
cut down the tree, but the scion wood has to be relatively fresh. If
you
strip off the top layer, you should still be able to see some green
cambium. You need that healthy layer to bond to the root stock. If you
have a bud from the tree, you can do a bud graft onto an existing plum
tree. All of this is dependent on the season, because where I am in the
Midwest, everything is going dormant, so grafting won't work. I'm not
sure about doing it your climate zone.

Sherwin Dubren

wheel wrote:

I am a total idiot about gardening, just to warn you.

I had to cut down a old plum tree on our property (SF Bay Area). I
didn't want to do it because it made the most incredible plums I've ever
had - they were like mangoes. It never made many, and seemed to have off
years. But it had to go.

The question is, can I try to grow it from cuttings? I don't have any
seeds, unfortunately. I'd love to try to keep a sprig going and
eventually a new tree. Any chance of this?