Old 09-12-2003, 02:45 AM
North

Default Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 18:50:34 -0600, "Bob Peterson"
said:

"BernadetteTS" wrote in message
Ian Stirling wrote in message
In misc.survivalism Down Under On The Bucket Farm
wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I am working on long-term plans for self-sufficiency, oriented to
buying some bare land and building an off-grid house, rainwater
catchment, composting toilet, etc, etc.

One issue is the question of how much physical space would be
needed to grow enough food to completely support myself?

Kains wrote "5 Acres and Independence"

This is a reprint of a post WW2 get out of the city and back to the land
overview. It was also republished as The Mother Earth News issue #2;

I seem to recall a 5 acre section of fast growing hybrid poplars would
supply an annual supply of firewood on a sustainable basis.

It kind of depends on how much you need. Some of these claims are based on
very small housing units. I suppose if you had very well insulated and
tight housing you might get by as well. You still have to cut and split the
wood, which is a major chore in itself, even with power tools like a
chainsaw and splitter to help you.

Hard work is good for the soul. I cut all the wood I need for 1 winter
in about two to three weeks

Another title I recall is Independence on a 5 acre farm.

Like any plan of this type, it all depends on the source of fresh water
as the #1 factor.

Bernadette