Old 09-12-2003, 06:32 AM
Happy'Cam'per

Default How much light is too much?

As someone said recently: "The only reason you would need that amount of
light is if you were growing banned botanicals round the base of your tank".
Better prepare yourself for some wild algae blooms unless you have the co2
cranked way up there
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
I have a 60 gallon FW tank which currently has 4-48" standard
fluorescent bulbs over it. As a general rule, that doesn't seem to be
enough for some of the more light-demanding plants, such as grasses
and red-leaved plants. (Though they may also be getting done in by my
clown loaches....)

So I'm thinking about retrofitting a couple of MH bulbs into the tank.
Would a pair of 150-watt MH bulbs at either end of the tank plus a CF
or other fluorescent be far too much light? That works out to over 5
watts per gallon. FWIW, I am going to have a CO2 tank up and running
before I put the MH in if I do it at all.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Ontario, California