Old 09-12-2003, 07:42 AM
Fran

Default Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

"Dwight Sipler" wrote in message

(snip)However, there is a
book, written probably in the 1940's (judging from the illustrations),
called "5 Acres and Independence", author's name escapes me at the
moment, but I think it starts with a K.

John Seymour who is British wrote a very similar one with an almost
identical title. I think it was "Indepencce on (and?) 5 acres".

Here is an interesting list of self sufficiency books:
http://home.earthlink.net/~tabletoph.../booklist.html
although I would recommend that you use books which relate specifically to
either NZ or Aus as the British and American books tend to concentrate on
some things (eg 'canning') that don't relate well to the Southern
Hemisphere. where you need to use local terminology if you are to get what
you want.

I would strongly recommend that you search out any books by Malcolm Blackie
(such as "Successful Small Farming") and someone who I presume is his wife,
a Mary Blackie. Both wrote about small farming and eating the products of a
small farm in New Zealand so they would know the type of conditions you will
experience.

Also of use is the "Earth Garden" and "Grass Roots" mags which you should
find in a halfway decent library.