Old 09-12-2003, 08:33 AM
House Todorovich

Default Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

Yes, got the idea from an old copy of TMEN.

Also you might be interested in "No Till" Agriculture for raising grains and
other food stuffs to minimize the energy expenditure vs. return on food. We
have homesteaded on as little as 3 acres, but currently have around 25.
Five would provide for the six of us. Buckwheat, 1/4 acre hand mowed, and
winnowed provided enough when stretched. I also collect acorn and make
acorn flour, and also cattail flour.

My son is almost a pure vegetarian by nature, so meat is of less importance
at our house these days. It is more of a side dish.

Grains and foraging are more important than vegetables to survival
homesteading.

Potatoes, peanuts, and Yams are also of high value.

IT is all in the calories.

Jim

Ever actually done this? or is this just an 'educated guess"?