Old 09-12-2003, 12:12 PM
jane

Default Electric greenhouse heaters

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 22:20:49 +0000, hugh ] wrote:

~In message , Troy
writes
~We had our first sub-zero temperatures last night and I was interested to
~see the performance of my new Parasene "Frost Shield" 2Kw fan heater. I
~only need frost protection for the greenhouse and so set it for just that -
~(should protect at temperatures of 5°C and lower). Very disappointed this
~morning to find that the greenhouse temperature had dropped to -1°C during
~the night. The heater had switched itself on and off a few times but the
~total on time was less than 2 hours.
~
~Took it back to B&Q today and got a new one. This one seems to be working
~the opposite way. It's a much warmer evening and it's (same settings)
~already been on for over 4 hours with the greenhouse temperature currently
~over 10°C.
~
~Any ideas? Suggestions for a more reliable heater? I really don't want to
~
~TIA.
~I bought one a few years ago and it was useless - the thermostat was
~directly in front of the heater element. On 2kw setting it would cut out
~almost immediately. Seems they haven't improved them.

I bought a thermostatic convection heater for the conservatory
greenhouse from B&Q (an EWT or something) and it's not terribly good
either. Its wattage switch sails round in circles and never stays on
where I've set it. Still, the thermostat seems to be reasonable, and
after buying a max/min thermometer and fiddling with the dial for a
while, I was able to calibrate the temperature settings.

Despite its poor build quality it's still working fine for heating,
and because I do sit in there, I wanted it quiet so no fan.

Have only frozen the bougainvilleas once, cos some silly person
forgot to plug the heater back in after setting up the Christmas tree
lights one year :-) (They survived)

--
jane

Mark Twain