Old 09-12-2003, 04:42 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Replanting Poinsettias in the garden ? (PNW)

"-L." wrote in message
m...
"gregpresley" wrote in message

Poinsettias could be grown outdoors in protected spots in North Florida
(Tallahassee) such as against a south facing house wall under eaves.
Tallahassee has many more nights of frost than Seattle, I'm pretty

sure -
but the days are uniformly MUCH warmer - averaging in the mid-60's even

in
January. I suspect that the plant is adapted to brief frosts as long as

the
ground warms up quickly during the day. I think it is native to Mexico,

but
not to the truly tropical parts - more to the subtropics that have

cooler
nights in winter.

We are actually in Portland. It doesn't get as cold here, and I have
some protected spots in the yard where I could try them. It rains a
lot here, though, so they may not do well. The exterior of our home
is stucco which retains heat, so that may add some protection as well.
I might try it and see what happens - beats just throwing them away!
Thanks for the info, everyone.

Sorry, but Portland does indeed get colder than Seattle, also hotter in
summer. Go ahead and try them if you like, but greenhouse grown points will
not survive a zone 8 winter. They will not tolerate temps less than 40F
without total defoliation and extended periods in the low 40's or down to
the 20's (as can happen in the PNW), combined with winter rains exceeds root
hardiness as well.. If you have any doubts about this, ask a reputable
nursery in your area that features points at this time of year - they don't
even recommend you leave them in your car when you are Christmas shopping!

pam - gardengal