Old 09-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Harry Muscle

Default Type of ballast in All-Glass hoods

I was wondering if anyone knows any information about the type of ballast
that All-Glass puts in their deluxe hoods. I'm especially interested in the
48*12 hoods (made for 55G) since I'm thinking of buying one of these and
adding more light to it. However, depending on the type of ballast included
(especially whether it's electronic or magnetic) I could save myself a
little bit of money but reusing it and the bulb in my new design. (I
wouldn't want to reuse a magnetic ballast since they aren't the best around)

My design is to fit three T8 48" bulbs in that hood. I know it will be
quite cramped, but since the ballasts will be under the aquarium and not in
the hood, I'm hoping it's doable. Anyone ever did something like this
with these hoods?

Btw, I know I could just upgrade to Power Compacts, but T8 bulbs are so much
cheaper to rep every year.

Thanks,
Harry