Old 09-12-2003, 07:32 PM
simy1

Default Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message ...
"simy1" wrote in message

Since the original poster was posting from subtropical Australia, I
doubt it. One just has to have winter vegetables, and things like
grains and beans.

Not really, he said

Your point about also using cool season veges is of course correct but,
speaking personally, you can only stomach so many meals of beans and
brassicas!

David

On this we will have to disagree. New Zealand is probably Zone 8 or 9.
There are many things you can have winter-round - we are just so
locked into tomatoes and corn in this country. But when in France
farmers were offering fresh vegetables at the market in Feb. or March.
I am told in Italy is even better. Besides the various types of
brassicas (please don't try to convince me that arugula, tatsoi, red
cabbage and broccoli are the same meal), there are all the root crops,
several types of chicory, many other winter greens, there is chard,
cardoon, favas, winter squash, sprouts and shoots.

In fact, one could argue that winter gardening is more efficient than
summer gardening, for all the most nutritious veggies are winter
veggies, so you get the same nutrition for less work. I am myself
still supported completely (veggie-wise) by my garden (currently,
onions garlic potatoes are in storage, beets and carrots are pulled as
needed, and I have also collards and radicchio), and this is December
in Michigan (Zone 5-6, minimum temp so far 17F). In the last two
months, we have only bought apples from the farmer market, and celery
for stock and lemons for juice.