Old 09-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default slugs

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Perhaps everyone here knows about it but I was interested in the CT method
of laying comfrey leaves round a vegetable plot. Trouble is, I can't
remember anything else about the system except that it's time critical ...

What's CT?

I've been advocating fresh comfrey and dried bracken as slug
deterrents for years; slugs really dislike going under or over scratchy
stuff.Cut whole stems of a comfrey such as Bocking 14 (which produces
lots of huge rough leaves each up to a foot long), and lay them around
new transplants of brassicas beans and corn etc. In years when the
comfrey comes up in time, I also put chopped fresh leaves in the
planting holes with seed potatoes.

Slugs also dislike seaweed mulches; fresh seaweed is salty and the
older stuff becomes dry and scratchy.

Janet.