Old 10-12-2003, 01:32 AM
David J Bockman

Default Are Pine Needles good for compost?

Feel free to tall me it's none of my beeswax, but I'm curious what sect of
buddhism?

Dave

"animaux" wrote in message
I have never been better and the garden is trying to sleep. The days are

70s and we had a
few almost freezes, nothing too speak of. I believe our garden is finally

at a stage
where things can be allowed to grow and things are settling in. The

coming spring will be
the fourth in this garden and it should be the best year to date.

I keep threatening to rent a sod cutter and this winter on a warm day I

intend to do that
and remove many thousands of sq ft of sod. Sod, the waste of the century,

IMO, of course!

Other than that, my life is indeed beyond my wildest dreams. I don't like

the idea of
having anything in common with Rush Limbaugh, as it seems he now includes,

with bravado,
terminology of recovery in his lengthy diatribes of hatred. I'm a liberal

and want to say
FU, but I'm a Buddhist, so I say ILY. That'll have to do.

How's the slots?

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:35:47 -0800, Tom Jaszewski

opined:

Pine needles are not always an appropriate mulch. For me to assume
that because I like something makes it the best choice seems silly and
baseless. This really becomes obvious when assessing compost derived
from different sources bilogically. Pinus for the most part are fungal
dominated soils. Pine mulch isn't a very good choice for vegies and
turf. IMHO (and some smarter than I)

BTW Vic how the heck is your garden these days? and you? :)

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 04:02:17 GMT, animaux wrote:

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 18:12:29 -0800, Tom Jaszewski

opined:

All speculation and falsehoods aside, it makes a fantastic mulch for
Pinus plantings of the same species.

What speculations are you talking about. I think I've seen a few and

wondered if they
were the same. I suppose we love pine needle mulch down here because it

doesn't compact
like shredded wood in the sun and though delicate, breaks down very

slowly. If I HAD to
buy mulch, I'd buy pine straw bales.