Old 10-12-2003, 04:32 AM
Richard Lewis

Default Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

(dstvns) wrote:

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 06:56:32 -0800, Down Under On The Bucket Farm
wrote:

So... How many acres of flat, farm-able land will I need?

I don't know, but I grew a years worth of garlic (fresh) and tomatoes
(canned) on about 400 square feet (0.009 acres?) of composted and
mulched soil this past year. My limitation is sun, due to so many
trees nearby. But I would definetly believe the figures that it
doesn't take a whole lot of land to live well.

You have looked at the calorie levels of that garlic and those
tomatoes, right? What you grew on 400 square feet will do nothing but
slow your starvation by a slight bit.

ral