Old 10-12-2003, 01:03 PM
Ray

Default using red lava rocks for phals

Remember that you have to balance the moisture-holding capacity of the
medium, it's airiness, and the conditions you are growing in.

Phals like constant moisture, but not soppiness in the medium, which is
reasonable for lava rock if it is watered very frequently or if you grow in
a very humid environment. In the home, I think it is a poor option, as the
environment is probably too dry and you would need to water it very
frequently, possibly daily.

"Anne" wrote in message
om...
I would like to know if there is anyone successful in raising phals
indoors with red lava rocks. I want to try since I have heard that
the coarse rocks will not hold up too much water. Are the outdoor
landscaping lava rock okay to use? Please advise if there are details
needed to be aware of. Thank you.