Old 10-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Paul Murray

Default Platy breeding question

In article , Greg G wrote:
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:55:46 -0600, "Keith E. Loyd"
I have 7 sunset platies in my 75G planted tank, and I started with a
M/F pair. They were the first inhabitants of the tank two years ago.
The female died during childbirth after the third brood. Each brood
had two survivors. I made no effort to segregate the young from the
tank population, so I don't know how many may have been eaten. They
are born "on the run", and will seek shelter among the plants
immediately.

All but one of the young turned out to be male. I surely pity the
lone female when it reaches "puberty." The young males chase the
oldest male around constantly trying to 'mate' with him - they are
obviously quite confused. ;-)

Is this an environmental thing? As far as we can tell all of our platy
fry are female. Might it be temperature-related?

-Paul