Old 11-12-2003, 01:05 AM
Clarissa

Default Newbie question

Sigh.

How very disappointing. The plants are strong and leafy and green; just no
damn edible bit.

They were ravaged by cabbage whites in the summer. Perhaps that's what did
for them?

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Clarissa" contains these words:

Anyway, the cauli and broccoli have all grown into sturdy plants but

there's
no sign of anything that I'd recognise as a cauliflower or a head of
broccoli. Have I missed the boat? We're now coming up to mid-winter, and
despite the cold and the frost, the plants are still proudly green and
determined, and have been for weeks (if not months). But that's it.

Nothing
more has happened.

Do I still have a chance of seeing a cauli or some broccoli popping up?

I don't expect you will see a cauli. Any setback to a cauli is likely to
result in a tiny flower. Transplanting a seedling amounts to a setback.

Cauliflower seeds should (ideally) be planted in the position they are
to be grown, though you can plant them in pots and (carefully) knock
them out of the pots and plant them, complete with undisturbed potting
compost.

Caulis like a very rich soil, and will tolerate, enjoy even, their feet
in fresh muck.

I can't comment on the broccoli - I've grown it, but I treated it as for
cauliflowers, and the rabbits had them before they were half grown.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)