Old 11-12-2003, 02:32 AM
Lorenzo L. Love

Default organic pesticide?

Lorenzo L. Love wrote:

andr0meda wrote:

Does anyone now if there is something like organic pesticide?
This evening I've found a nasty caterpillar emerging from one of my
tomatoes, and drilling into it again! how dreadful! And something looking
like a false lady bug eating of the leaves, except the leaves it sat
on were
drying and almost dead. With tomatoes just beginning to ripen I really
don't
want to use chemicals. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Andr0 (a new gardener)

Anything you could possibly use is a chemical. Water is a chemical.
Organic just means it is derived from natural sources.
There are many pesticides derived from plants. Pyrethrin which is made
from a type of chrysanthemum is quite common and should work on your
beetles but will kill beneficial insects too. BT which is a bacterial
spore in a liquid carrier, is usually usually best for caterpillars and
generally less likely to hurt beneficials. There are different varieties
of BT for different bugs.
See http://www.ghorganics.com/Page44.html for a list of organic
pesticides. Remember that just because it's organic, it won't poison you
if you misuse it. Follow directions and you will be fine.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”
Cicero

That should be "just because it's organic, it won't NOT poison you if
you misuse it" Anything can be misused.