Old 11-12-2003, 10:42 AM
Salty Thumb

Default Saffron Crocus Myths & Cultic Associations

pamfree (Zemedelec) wrote in
:

You spell Dionysos two different ways. The usual Romanization is
Dionysus according to Webster (but i thought it was Dionysius, where
is that extra 'i' coming from??). But since you are talking about
Greeks, the Greek spelling given by Liddell and Scott is Delta iota
omicron (alternatively omega) nu upsilon sigma omicron sigma.

Read T.E. Lawrence's notes to his editor, prefacing t "Seven Pillars
of Wisdom" on the 6 or 7 alternative ways he spelled a favorite
camel's name. (In a nutshell, if you can read Arabic the Englished
spelling doesn't matter, and if you can't it doesn't help.)
zemedelec

hehe, Arabic is a whole 'nuther ball game. I think the problem with
transliterating Arabic is that in the written script, they don't always
write the vowels (or that could be Hebrew, I don't remember). Plus there
isn't the more-or-less 1-1 correspondence of sounds and letters to the
Roman alphabet, compounded by a lack of standard pronounciations (I'm
assuming that Arabic has all sorts of regional and national dialects that
while mutually intelligible, don't sound the same to the unaccustomed ear).