Old 11-12-2003, 12:36 PM
Spider

Default 25 litre drum composter

Hello Nathan,
You don't say if you're standing the bin on concrete or soil.
Compost heaps are better on soil, unless you're straining the liquor off.
You did not mention this, so my advice would be to cut off the bottom of the
bin and stand it on soil. When the compost is ready, you can remove it by
lifting the bin; that way you retain the bin and can start adding compost.
This must be easier than destroying the bin and filling land-fill sites with
plastic.

My plastic ex-dustbin composter is very efficient in the summer (less so in
winter) even though I don't turn it. (I do, however, turn my larger bins).

As to your entirely kitchen scraps content, you should produce reasonable
compost. Beware the mix getting too wet and slimy. Let some scraps dry out
or add some newspaper. A heap should be a mix of green, nitrogenous matter
(lawn clippings and vegetative waste) and carbonaceous matter (more woody
material, paper, cardboard, etc.)

Some experts advocate using all your organic waste. Others are more
cautious. I, for instance, avoid potato peelings (they resprout and may
infect your heap with disease) and orange peelings and too much onion, as
they are said to be too acidic for the worms whose work we rely on.

As you suggest, it may help to add some worm-rich compost from another heap.
If you can't, however, the process will start naturally.

Spider.
Nathan Critchlow-Watton wrote in
message om...
Hi,

We have a very small garden, with no room for a "conventional" compost
heap. I have got access to a number of 25 litre plastic drums, and
was going to convert one of those. One of the main advantages will be
that I can turn it easily.
Can anyone point out any ways to improve this idea?:

Make about 30 5mm holes in the base of the drum. Stand the drum on
bricks, to allow air through. Wrap bubble wrap around the drum in a
forlorn attempt to insulate it. If I'm going to shake the drum, what
can I use in the bottom to ensure the air holes stay open, that won't
move about too much?

Filling it:
We'll only be using vegetative kitchen scraps, posted through the cap
hole. Should I try to "start" the compost with a couple of handfuls
of someone else's compost? Will pure kitchen waste be too rich? Do I
need to water the compost - bearing in mind that the cap will be on
all the time, so no rain wetting!

Once the compost is made, I'll cut the drum open to release it!

Thanks,
Nathan