Old 11-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Newbie question

"Clarissa" wrote in message Can someone advise please?

This year I grew veg for the first time. On the whole it's been very
successful, but I'm puzzled by my cauliflower and my broccoli.

To be honest, I can't recall when I planted them, but they were grown from
healthy seedlings purchased from the local garden centre. Must have been 6
months ago.

Anyway, the cauli and broccoli have all grown into sturdy plants but

there's
no sign of anything that I'd recognise as a cauliflower or a head of
broccoli. Have I missed the boat? We're now coming up to mid-winter, and
despite the cold and the frost, the plants are still proudly green and
determined, and have been for weeks (if not months). But that's it.

Nothing
more has happened.

Do I still have a chance of seeing a cauli or some broccoli popping up?

It depends on what variety they are.
My summer/autumn cauliflowers have only just finished producing heads (ate
the last yesterday), as due to the very long hot/dry summer they were at
least two months late starting cropping. My spring caulies, planted at about
the same time, are beginning to twist their top leaves, which is a good
sign, but haven't produced any heads yet and shouldn't until about
March/April. Yours could be the same.
So if they look healthy, keep them tidy but otherwise leave well alone, you
may yet get a good crop.The late autumn/spring Caulies are the best, no
pests around so you get perfect clean curds like a supermarket but without
the sprays.

As for the broccoli, we have had it do all sorts of things over the years
but it invariably produces something worthwhile, so as with the caulies,
leave them and see, you can always pull them up later.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
346 data units completed.