Old 11-12-2003, 06:02 PM
christopher johnson

Default using red lava rocks for phals

Schultz makes a mix that contains lava rocks that are pretty well rounded
and also has cedar bark. I find that if you supplement it with some
sphagnum (about 50/50) that everything does pretty well in it.

I live in the north and in a city where garden supplies are few, so I've had
to be somewhat experimental in growing but it seems to work. You really
need to keep this mix moist though.

"Anne" wrote in message
om...
I would like to know if there is anyone successful in raising phals
indoors with red lava rocks. I want to try since I have heard that
the coarse rocks will not hold up too much water. Are the outdoor
landscaping lava rock okay to use? Please advise if there are details
needed to be aware of. Thank you.