Old 11-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Jim Dauven

Default Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

North wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 06:58:03 GMT, (Richard
Lewis) said:

Jim Dauven wrote:

snipped

But as for goats, a kid is born 156 days after conception and a
Doe can conceive two weeks after giving birth. A new born
doe can conceive between 160 to 180 days after birth. In fact
goats multiply almost as fast as rabbits.

The FAQ posted below says you are full of shit Jim.

snipped
The Goat FAQ.

snipped the biological stuff
Goats

Breeds of goats vary from as little as 20 lb mature female bodyweight
and 18 inches female withers for dwarf goats for meat production up to
250 lb and 42 inches withers height for Indian Jamnapari,

I didn't include the one or two larger breeds in my posts as
I was concentrating on goats that were primarily high
production of fabric and meat while being easy keepers but the
goats I was quoting were 60 to 150 lbs (don't see any thing
contradictory here)

snipped some more bilogical stuff

Goats are in puberty at 1/2 year of age
and can be bred if of sufficient size. Does come into estrus in 21 day
cycles normally, lasting approximately 1 to 2 days.

160 to 180 days is a 1/2 year if my calendar is correct

In temperate zones, goats breed normally from August through February.
Nearer the equator, goats come into estrus throughout the year. Thus
more than one litter per year is possible, considering the length of
pregnancy of 150 days.

Again the information in my post is right on.

Origin

snipped biological stuff

The major breeds of US goats a

Saanen originate from Switzerland (Saanen Valley),
An Australian Saanen doe holds the World record milk
production of 7,714 lbs in 365 days.
Toggenburg, brown with white facial, ear and leg stripes, another
straight nosed, horned or hornless, mostly shorthaired, erect eared
goat, as all Swiss are,

LaMancha is a new, young breed developed in California from Spanish
Murciana origin and Swiss and Nubian crossings.

(Anglo)-Nubian is a breed developed in England from native goats and
crossed with Indian and Nubian which have heavy arched

Oberhasli, a western Swiss breed, usually solid red or black, horned
or hornless, erect ears, not as tall as Saanen, very well adapted for
high altitude mountain grazing and long hours of marching;

Angora originated in the Near East. The long upper coat (mohair) is
the valuable product in the Angora in contrast to the Cashmere, where
the fine underwool is the valuable product.

Pygmy are dwarf, short legged goats from West and Central Africa and
the Caribbean. Their growth rates and milk production are relatively
respectable, although low, twinning is frequent and they are breeding
all year usually. They are adaptable to humid tropics and resistant to
trypanosoma.

The Pygmy goat is what I raise as they are (in my openion) the
most trouble free breed

snipped the rest of the stuff

The Independent