Old 12-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Ann

Default Cat urine killing english boxwood hedge!

(mike) expounded:

I planted 35 boxwoods that line my walkway to my porch. I have since
replaced 10 of these because cats are urinating on them and killing
them. I've considered the Scarecrow "motion activated sprinkler" but
this is a walkway to my front door. Is there any other type of boxwood
or am I out of luck???

Please help! -mike

Mike, what makes you think cats are killing your boxwoods? Because
you smell cat urine? If that's why, you need to know that boxwoods
*do* smell like cat urine. They're stinky as hell, which is why I
don't have any in my yard. My mother, an herbalist, has a nice garden
with rows of them. Phew!

Please be sure they are getting adequate water. You don't say where
you are. Another thought is are they hardy enough for your area?
Some boxwoods are very tender and brown out easily with a combination
of dry, cold winds and dry soil.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA