Old 12-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Fran

Default Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

"Richard Lewis" wrote in message
(George Cleveland) wrote:

Jeez, I don't see that at all. The guy is keeping his day job. He can do

it
from home via a satellite link up. He just wants to know what he would

need
to keep himself in food and off the treadmill of consumerism. Noble

goals,
although the slant towards isolation is a bit worrying

Really? The post I saw was about a guy building his own off-grid
house on his own land and going totally self-sufficient.

You are both reading into the original post something that was not there.

The "slant towards isolation" is an interpretation and was not mentioned as
is the "guy building his own off-grid house".

Andrew may or may not intend to build and he may or may not intend to seek
isolation but he certainly didn't mention doing either thing. It is still
very possible in NZ to have a house built by a reasonably traditional
builder, to be off the grid and collect one's own water off the roof to
have a septic toilet (or even a composting toilet) and still live a full and
active socially involved life.