Old 12-12-2003, 03:32 AM
hort-4

Default Rosemary - White powdery substance

"Tyra Trevellyn" wrote in message

The tricky thing with rosemary indoors in wintertime is to make sure it

doesn't
get too dry or hot. The dry air and the sunny window can contribute to

powdery
mildew, which sounds like what you're seeing. Make very sure that the
(well-drained) potting soil absolutely never ever dries out completely and

that
there isn't an extreme heat build up that remains around the plants

overnight.
The powdery mildew won't necessarily cause the death of the plants but

the
environmental factors that cause it may do just that. I occasionally see

touch of PM on my overwintering pots of rosemary, but I keep them going
strongly anyway.

I haven't tried it but some recommend a dilute spray of baking soda

(one-half
teaspoon to one gallon water) to be used at the first sign of powdery

mildew.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7ish

rosemary is adapted to cool wet (well drained) winters.
sf bay, z 15