Old 12-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Nathan Critchlow-Watton

Default 25 litre drum composter

"bnd777" wrote in message ...
Your idea will be fine but have 2 one full and one empty .......just add
lashings of urine as an accelerator to your mix of stuff for
composting........worms will enter from the soil through your 5mm holes

SNIP
Any chance of others getting some of the plastic bins you have access too
??????

Thank you all very much for your comments and ideas.

Soil is too precious in our garden to put a composter on, so it'll be
standing on bricks next to the bin! I won't chuck the drum out at the
end of the year, I'm going to cut an access hole to shake compost out
of This will be "sealable" so I can shake the drum up to mix it. I
realised I will probably get bored of shaking compost out of it, so
this is just an initial idea.

Following on from ideas about aeration, I will run a pipe through the
middle of the drum, with holes drilled along it, open to the air at
the top and bottom. Hopefully this will get some convection currents
through the compost, and along with shaking it should provide
sufficient oxygen. The holes in the bottom will then only be to drip
out excess moisture. I might install a collection system for this
liquor!

Thanks too for comments about using it. I'll put in the odd handful
of ripped up paper, and maybe a handful of woodash every now and
again?
Peeing on it sounds fun, but does anyone know if URG correspondence
will be accepted as a legal defence for indecent exposure?

I'm afraid that all the drums from work are either taken away to carry
water to horses (not by me), act as water butts or make Heath Robinson
composters!
And yes, I have considered horse manure as a starter, but the idea of
trying to squish it through the cap is revolting.

Thanks,
Nathan