Old 12-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Andy Hunt

Default Pots in the North

Thinking what I've seen growing in pots at the RHS Wisley "allotment" I
think I remember:- Runner Beans, tall Peas, Onions, Shallots, Carrots,
various Chillies/Peppers, Strawberries, Courgettes, Tomatoes.
Don't remember seeing any brassicas though, but don't see why not.

Parsnips
should be good in tall pots 'cause that's the way the exhibitors do it.
Probably anything would do well if cared for enough especially in your
"walled garden" and despite you being a bit up N. :-)

Thanks - a great list. I'm not sure how chillis would do in the climate we
have here in the People's Republic of Bury, it's a bit "humid" much of the
time, although thanks to global warming (?) we had a great summer this year.
Someone said to me that kiwi fruit are hardy enough to grow outdoors up
here, but I'm slightly sceptical I must admit. I always thought they needed
greenhouses, along with oranges and other citrus etc.

Will try the vaseline for slugs. Apparently it's also good for treating
those who smoke after sex. (sorry crude joke!)

Andrew

Save money and the planet - get a domestic wind turbine! www.windsave.com