Old 12-12-2003, 02:33 PM

Default Freezing

"Dave" wrote in message
news : On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:39:22 +0000, Kay Easton
: wrote:
:
: In article , Dave
: writes
: is there any thing i can use to stop the water in the flower vases
: from freezing at a grave. All the solutions Ive thoiught of would
: kill the flowers. Thanks in advance Dave
:
: Sugar? ISTR that's why parsnips get sweeter after a frost.
:
: But you will also have to make sure that whatever you're putting in the
: flower vase isn't going to be affected by the frost - ie if the water in
: the vase freezes, then so will the water in the flowers themselves.
: So really its not worth buying cut flowers in the winter then, trouble
: is they wont allow me to use artificial flowers. Problem is I always
: promised my late wife that I would always have flowers at her grave,
: so I suppose its just a case of buying them more often in the winter.
: Problem with the water freezing though is that I cant remove the dead
: flowers,as the water is frozen, doesnt affect the vases though as they
: are metal.

As it is obviously too late to plant bulbs for this year, couldn't you take
a pot of ready grown hyacinths, daffs, etc.