Old 12-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Andy Hunt

Default Pots in the North

Radishes are shallow. Peas sound ideal. There are many short varieties
of carrots (I can never bring mine to maturity. I keep thinning and
eating tiny carrots 'til they're all gone.) Fresh greens are lovely to
have. Many loose-leaf lettuces can be harvested a few leaves at a
time. Some cabbag-y greens, too. 'Bush' type beans don't need to be
trellised and are rewarding.

Ah! I didn't realise you could get "bush" type beans . . . they sound like
an excellent idea. Just so long as they don't go declaring war on everything
else in the garden . . . ;-) . . . sorry best to keep politics out of
gardening, isn't it. Some things are sacred, after all.

Lettuces did occur to me, but when I think about it I can hear an army of
slugs and snails licking their chops in my mind . . . cabbages yes, but I
have to go careful with them, I was traumatised with cabbages as a child. A
bit of nice crisp white cabbage fried up with garlic, chilli and potatoes
with a dash of salt certainly warms a winter's evening, though.

I even manage sprouts occasionally - cooked 'al dente' with butter and black
pepper. I think it's the sort of liquidised school-dinner sprouts that leave
the psychological scars.

Radishes are delicious. Thankyou - what a great suggestion. I'll certainly
give them a 'go'.

Andrew

'Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to
me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we
know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there
are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the
ones we don't know we don't know. And every year we discover a few more of
those unknown unknowns.' - US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld

http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/pressr...hor-Donal-1943