Old 12-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Frogleg

Default sunset!

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:18:33 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

Frogleg writes

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:46:35 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:

Well I just looked at my little sunrise and sunset chart and today's the
earliest we get sunset. From now it's getting later. The day length does
continue to shorten though for another 10 days or so because the sunrise is
still getting later.

Very interesting. Is this true at all latitudes? It does seem unfair
that we get hopeful about daylight when the worst of cold weather is
still ahead. Who invented February anyhow?

It works the other way later on - summer solstice is end June, but
there's still lots more summer to come.

I forbore mentioning this. In my area (SE Virginia) the statistically
average temperature rises 'til the end of July, and *actual*
temperatures are often sauna-like well into September.

I knew about solstices, but not the relative advance/retreat of
twilight.