Old 12-12-2003, 09:42 PM
rick etter

Default Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

"bob peterson" wrote in message
om...
"rick etter" wrote in message

Here's another site that gives yields in pounds for a given area and

number
of plants.

http://www.foodforeveryone.org/garde...s/yields.shtml

did you really mean the other posted site?
That's the one I'll refer to below...

Did you take a look at how much time was spent on this project?

===========================
Yes. When we grew a large garden, we spent nearly that much time, and we
weren't trying to depend on it.

don't doubt it took every minute he admitted to. If you think self
suffiency is for you think about the amount of effort just to grow
enough food to starve.

If you translate this to a real life situation where you have 10 hours
a day worth of other work to do just to survive, its clear that this
type of arrangement is only for desperation mode, and even then you
probably cannot do it alone.

As the site said, it wasn't 'scientific' in any way. Obviously he knew he
had options to fall back on and still not suffer any. I just liked the data
about how many pounds of what was produced in what size area.