Old 12-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Pots in the North

The message
from "Andy Hunt" contains these words:

I even manage sprouts occasionally - cooked 'al dente' with butter and black
pepper. I think it's the sort of liquidised school-dinner sprouts that leave
the psychological scars.

Lightly cook some chestnuts and remove from shells, peel off as much of
the skin as possible and cook until they are done, but not falling
apart. Roll in melted butter and add to your sprouts.

Mmmmmm.

Radishes are delicious. Thankyou - what a great suggestion. I'll certainly
give them a 'go'.

You can gro catch-crops of radishes beneath your larger veg as they come
up and mature.

Salsify is good in post, as is horseradish - indeed, it's the best place
for them.

Also, get a plastic drum or dustbin, cut or melt drainage underneath and
put some peat/compost in the bottom, plant three or four sprouting
potatoes and bank them up until they've grown some six inches, then
plant some more, and so-on until the drum is full.

Keep it very well watered and stood in a warm, sunny place, feed with
your favourite spudfood, and you'll have a bin full of easily gathered
potatoes.

While you're at it, get a barrel or dustbin and a hole-saw. (Or use a
keyhole saw) Cut a number of holes in the side of the bin. Get (say)
three feet of plastic drainpipe and block one end - with cement, plastic
tied over the end of it, WHY? - it doesn't have to be a pretty job, and
drill ¼" holes into it all the way round, all the way down, and more of
them at the top than the bottom. Put some peat/compost/soil in the
bottom and up the sides. Put your drainpipe in the middle with the
closed end down. Fill the drum with soil/peat/compost and plant
strawberries in the holes in the side and something (radishes?) in the
top. (I planted alpine strawberries.)

Pour water down the drainpipe to water the system.

Watercress can be grown in damp soil too. It doesn't have to have
running water.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)