Old 13-12-2003, 02:02 AM
Chuck Gadd

Default Dosing plants with NPK home compunds

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:31:44 +0200, "Amit" wrote:

Hi,
As part of my effort to save my Amazon swords, I think my tank lacks some
Nitrogen and Potassium.
After a short visit to the plant nursery I finally selected Jobes Spikes and
some liquid fertilizer - Yes for home plants!
The Spikes made of:
N - 6%
P2O5 - 2% (trying to keep phosphate as low as I can, not that I have any
Algae problems...)
Potassium 3%
And Iron 1% (EDTA) Which I doubt will have any effect, Since it is not
chelated

The spikes are probably fine, especially since they will be buried and
won't dump their nutrients directly into the water.

The liquid is made of:
NPK all 7%

DANGER!!!! In most house-plant liquid fertilizers, the N is in the
form of Urea, which is basically ammonia and is highly toxic. In
addition to the toxicity issues, adding N in the form of ammonia (or
urea) will often result in algae problems.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua