Old 13-12-2003, 02:32 PM
animaux

Default Diatomaceous Earth

DE is the skeletal remains of fresh or salt water diatoms consisting of mostly silica, a
little aluminum, sodium and iron and lots of trace minerals, including some that are rare.
Natural DE is dug from the earth, ground into a powder and sold as an anti-caking agent
for stored foods and grains, a natural insecticide, and a natural food supplement for pets
and livestock. It is approved by the USDA to be used in food up to 2% of the food volume.
Swimming pool or filter DE on the other hand has been calcined (partially melted) and
often chemically treated. It is dangerous to breathe because of the high level of
crystalline silica and has no use for anything other than in filters.

On 13 Dec 2003 05:34:27 -0800, (Michael P Gabriel) opined:

Hi!
I have been using diatomaceous earth in my veggie garden for many
years now and I'm still alive! Yet, I only now read that there are two
types of D.E.: one for garden use and one for use in bulk storage of
legumes and grains.

I've been buying my D.E. in local supermarkets, WalMart and HomeDepot.
Am I jeopardizing my health? I rinse my veggies thoroughly after
picking....and since my gardening is totally organic, I only use plain
fresh tap water for rinsing.

Any ideas out there as to how one would know whether the D.E is the
good kind or the bad kind for gardens? I bought a huge box, 10 lbs.,
I think, from one store for less than 7.00. Now if I buy the good kind
will it cost me a small fortune?

- if emailing, change .com to .net
This world is filled with apathy, but who cares?