Old 13-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Sacha

Default reply at long last

Jaques d'Alltrades13/12/03 5:01

On 26th July I sent a number of what I thought were easy questions to
Kew. Yesterday, I received a reply.

It seems date palms will survive outside in a sheltered spot, but need
to be wrapped up in the winter against cold winds and frosts.

They don't know what a granadillo is, though some of my English
dictionaries do.

Platymiscum Yucatanum (Granadillo)

Tamarind: big, leguminacae, and not hardy. (As I guessed)

TAMARIND

Tamarindus indica L.

Leguminosae (Fabaceae)
Common Names: Tamarind, Tamarindo, Tamarin, Sampalok.

Distant affinity: Carob (Ceratonia siliqua).

Origin: The tamarind is native to tropical Africa and grows wild throughout
the Sudan. It was introduced into India so long ago, it has often been
reported as indigenous there also. It is extensively cultivated in tropical
areas of the world. Sometime during the sixteenth century, it was introduced
into America and today is widely grown in Mexico.

Adaptation: The tamarind is well adapted to semiarid tropical conditions,
although it does well in many humid tropical areas of the world with
seasonally high rainfall. Young trees are very susceptible to frost, but
mature trees will withstand brief periods of 28° F without serious injury. A
tamarind tree in the Quail Botanical Gardens in San Diego County flowers,
but rarely sets fruit, possibly because of the cool coastal climate. Dry
weather is important during the period of fruit development. The tree is too
large to be grown in a container for any length of time.

They don't know what amarulas are. Am I spelling it correctly? (also
seen as merula and something else, but I've lost the

Try them on Sclerocarya Birrea.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/p...93/v2-496.html
snip

All this was found by Googling. Latin names help to identify plants so much
more easily than local 'nicknames'. That takes a lot longer.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)