Old 25-01-2003, 01:08 AM
Gene Schurg

Default I should live in the tropics!

Frank,

I purchased an inexpensive heater at Home Depot that attaches to the top of
a BBQ Propane Cylinder. Luckily I haven't had to use it yet but for $40 I
figured it was good insurance.

I think I started a discussion about emergency heating back in October. I
believe Kero gives off more nasties that would affect the plants and cause
the buds to drop.

If it was dry in the Greenhouse and it proves to be a one time drop you will
probably be good. Remember that if you read 34 on one thermometer the
microclimates may be warmer (or cooler).

Keep us posted so we know what to expect if it happens to us.

BTW....I heard it was 19 degrees in Orlando last night.....even the palm
trees are shivering.

Good growing,
Gene

"Frank H. Kirchner" wrote in message
news
It's the worst cold snap here in Virginia in years! And the electricity
failed last night. The greenhouse temperature reistered a low of 34. Are
we a happy camper today!? :-( At least it wasn't truly freezing.

Two questions:
How long before my plants will tell me how much damage they sustained? My
collection is your typical serious hobbyist of about 500 plants rangeing
through most of the comonly grown plants-vandas to phals.

If I add back-up heating for such emergencies, how damage could I expect
from a kerosene heater vs. a propane heater. Are both likely to blast
buds?

Why don't I live in Hawaii?

Thanks.

--