Old 13-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] Rosmarianus christmas tree

I am tempted not to spead advice that seems foolish... but since Jim is the
recipient, he should be able to decide whether to follow it or not. Many
years ago a workshop in my club resulted in several very nice Rosemary
bonsai with trunks averaging 3/4" at their largest diameter. The bonsai
which survived longest-- I'd say for over 8 years-- was planted in spaghnum
moss (the Floridian TV host Briah Batchelder's method) while every other
tree in the workshop died by its third year. Mine survived longest of the
"also rans" that were potted, and it received bare bones care with bonsai
soil a little rich with pine bark soil conditioner. This plant was truly a
favorite because of its extraordinary scent, bark & attractive pad foliage.

The Rosemary owner using moss noted that he let it get too dry one day.

'Nuff said... I don't recommend the method, but in this case I have seen a
VERY positive result. The potting was reduced to an elegant proportion
(though slightly deeper than normal potting), & the Rosemary was often among
bonsai featured in club shows though the owner carried more foliage than
other club members recommended for his preference in styling. It held
well-groomed pads of foliage above its lower limbs & a nice, rounded crown.

Best wishes,
Chris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++