Old 13-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Rosmarianus christmas tree

I am tempted not to spead advice that seems foolish... but
since Jim is the
recipient, he should be able to decide whether to follow it or

not. Many
years ago a workshop in my club resulted in several very nice

Rosemary
bonsai with trunks averaging 3/4" at their largest diameter.

The bonsai
which survived longest-- I'd say for over 8 years-- was planted

in spaghnum
moss

Very good advice. Of late -- the last 2-3 years -- I've _always_
done the first potting of a tree in a "soil" that is 1/3 to 1/2
chopped FRESH sphagnum moss. Freshly separated air layers get
planted in soil that is up to 2/3 sphagnum. The moss contains
chemicals that promote rooting.

My definition of "fresh" is sphagnum that I have raked out of my
swamp and chopped it while it is still dripping. I keep what I
don't use wet and it stays green indefinitely.

So I'll follow your advice, Chris. This plant already is in a
fairly small (1/2 gal??) pot. It stands about 16" above the pot.
Perhaps I can just spread the roots out in a shallower, wider
container. It is a very dense "tree." At this point -- without
having taken a good look at the branch structure -- it looks like
a candidate for an old IBC Logo tree [= . I'll know more
after all the decorations are off -- and eaten. :=) (Chocolate
bells and kisses).

I have seen photos of some very nice rosemary bonsai.

I tried to transplant a large one last summer (no alternative),
but failed.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++