Old 13-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default reply at long last

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades13/12/03 5:01

They don't know what a granadillo is, though some of my English
dictionaries do.

Platymiscum Yucatanum (Granadillo)

But I have it as Passiflora quadrangularis. (Typo - for granadilla - GKH
- but the letter was correct.)

Tamarind: big, leguminacae, and not hardy. (As I guessed)

TAMARIND

Yes, had that too, thanks. We were at one with that.

They don't know what amarulas are. Am I spelling it correctly? (also
seen as merula and something else, but I've lost the

Try them on Sclerocarya Birrea.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/p...93/v2-496.html
snip

All this was found by Googling. Latin names help to identify plants so much
more easily than local 'nicknames'. That takes a lot longer.

Hmmmm. 4½ months - -

What I was hoping for was experiences of growing the plants in our
climate - or not, as the case my be.

I used to send specimens of fungi or questions to the British Museum of
Natural History and often had a reply by return. (Several of my
specimens ended up in their jars - - -)

Last time I spoke to them they were very unhappy about losing mycology
to Kew. I'll have to try them on some specimens of fungi next time I
find something I think is interesting.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)