Old 14-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Brian

Default Pruning a Vine Maple

If the branches are really dead then there is nothing you could do to them
that would harm the tree. They can be removed at any time and waterproofing
seems to be of no benefit. The double cutting you suggest is the best method
and avoids tears below the cut. Six inches above ground would be about
right. At 15' it is a good specimen of that species~~though others might
disagree. Its growth suggests that at some time in the past it has either
been cut or died, down to ground level. Best Wishes.
"Dean Riechman" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

I have a vine maple (Acer circinatum) that is about 15' tall with 5
stems that almost touch at the base. The stems are about 4-5" dia each.
It's growing behind a retaining wall and probably doesn't get enough
water in the summer. Two of the stems died early this summer while I
was away for a while when it was unusually hot. The other 3 survived and
appear to be ok. Could someone please help me with pruning away the 2
dead stems?

1) First, I assume the stems are all connected somehow underground to
common roots so that what I do to one affects them all. Is that right?
Otherwise the rest of the questions won't matter

2) Is this a good time to remove them, or should I wait until later in
the winter? I'm near Portland, OR and the leaves are off now.

3) I want to make the first cut high to reduce the weight and then make
a final cut. Should the final cut be as close to the ground as possible
or is there a best place to cut them?

4) Is it necessary to treat the exposed wood?

Thanks for any help.

Dean Riechman