Old 14-12-2003, 03:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Fertilizer

Hiya Patrick,

As a hobbyist, I divide my iris in the spring after they've bloomed and
feed them a fertilizer spike made for Tomatoes. Otherwise I let the fish
poo fertilize them. If no fish, and no concerns about water quality,
Osmocote would be fine, imo. ~ jan )

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

"Patrick O'Connor" wrote in message
This is the first time I have looked at rec.ponds, so my question is
probably well chewed already. I need recommendations about fertilizer
for Louisiana irises grown in water. I am a hybridizer and planning
to start a mail order business one day. I grow my irises in water in
half barrels in which olives, peppers and the like were imported. I
am familiar with fertilizing these irises in the ground, but unsure
what is best in this situation. A commercial grower I know who grows
Louisiana irises similarly just used Osmocote. Not sure of the
amounts or if this is really a good idea.

I would appreciate any insight or ideas on this. I think the irises
are hungry.

Patrick