Old 14-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Franz Heymann

Default reply at long last

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
On 26th July I sent a number of what I thought were easy questions to
Kew. Yesterday, I received a reply.

It seems date palms will survive outside in a sheltered spot, but need
to be wrapped up in the winter against cold winds and frosts.

They don't know what a granadillo is, though some of my English
dictionaries do.

If your granadillo is the same as my grenadello, then it is what we call
passion fruit in South Africa.

Tamarind: big, leguminacae, and not hardy. (As I guessed)

They don't know what amarulas are. Am I spelling it correctly? (also
seen as merula and something else, but I've lost the

Marula. The fruit of which ferments on the tree. It is loved by many
animals in and near the Kalahari. Baboons and elephants, in particular, get
inebriated in the appropriate season.
See the video "Beautiful People"

Lemon question was answered by urg in early September.

*AND* I enclosed SAE.

Generally,

Kew v. urg: score = 4 - 1 to urg

Franz