Old 14-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Iris Cohen

Default why they are coiled?

There is something missing from your research and speculation about handedness
in nature. Is there any difference in the proportion of left-handed vs.
right-handed snails, tendrils, etc. between the Northern & Southern
Hemispheres, due to the Coriolus effect?

Medieval figurines have an "S" shape that is quite attractive.

That is called a Hogarth curve, & is widely used in modern design.

Check out the Fibonacci series.

What is most interesting is the fact that the Fibonacci series, besides
occurring widely in nature, happens to be very pleasing to the human eye. To
get the Fibonacci proportions, you take the first two numbers, add them
together, and then add the previous number, like this: 1, 2, 3, 5, 8,13, 21,
34, etc. We use these proportions in bonsai all the time. For example, a tree
21 inches tall should be in a pot 13 inches long.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)