Old 14-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Phisherman

Default Rosemary - White powdery substance

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:07:13 GMT, "Graham" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 06:39:32 -0600, Mark Anderson
wrote:

In article says...
I have yet to see a Rosemary of any kind, brought inside for winter, go

without powdery
mildew. It is simply too humid in most homes for Rosemary. A sunny

window, even southern
exposure, is still less sun than if you had it outside in the shade.

They do not thrive
indoors.

I brought two inside for the winter and one looks like it's dead. Will
it come back next Spring? It seems had I left it outside in the cold it
would have fared a lot worse. I thought Rosemary was perennial. How do
you keep it going year after year if you don't bring it inside?

I keep mine outdoors and they are growing well. They keep their
leaves during the winter and don't mind freezing temperatures.
Indoors, you need to provide as much sunlight as possible and be
careful about overwatering. No fertilizer.

But there's freezing and freezing! Rosemary won't survive a prairie winter
outside!!
I have mine in a south facing bay window. It drinks like a fish and I
fertilize it. It has been rootbound for years but according to some
authorities, this is the way to treat it.
Graham

There are many varieties of Rosemary. Like many herbs it seems to
grow well without special attention. I've read that it doesn't like
strong winter winds, though there is little wind here between two
mountain ranges. The cutting I rooted last spring are growing well
and I'll need to start trimmimg it to the shape I want (Christmas
tree) else it will eventually look straggly like its mama. Nice dark
green color and bushy herb.