Old 14-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Phisherman

Default Forsythias blooming??

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:21:31 -0500, "Natty_Dread"
wrote:

I'm in Alexandria, VA, USDA Zone 7. This morning I noticed that two of my
mature forsythias are blooming. They've never done this before; is it
normal? Will the flowers die back and the bushes bloom again in the spring?
They in a side border of my southern-facing front yard, and now that the
leaves have dropped from the trees that border the street, on sunny days
they get nearly full sun pretty much all day. Thanks in advance for any
feedback!

I see forsythia blooming in December, January, and February here in
east TN (zone 7). Any given plant will bloom at various times, year
to year, depending on the kind of winter we are having, and how the
plant is protected. One forsythia, next to a building, bloomed in
December, but another that's not protected in February. If you see
just a few blooms, it will probably bloom in full next month or two.
You can cut winter stems, put them in a vase or water, and they will
bloom indoors! Beautiful winter-blooming plant.