Old 15-12-2003, 02:30 PM
B & J

Default Rosemary - White powdery substance

"animaux" wrote in message
There is a variety which will tolerate, oh, USDA Zone 6b in a protected

situation.
Against a southern side of the house, but dry. Rosemary 'ARP' is one of

the more hardy
types. Another was developed by Madelaine Hill, it may be called 'Hill'

for all I know.
I don't recall. Does anyone remember the one she found which is hardy?

I have a variety that has survived in Zone 6b for the past four years
without any particular winter protection. Last fall I over wintered a
cutting that rooted after being used as a county fair exhibit in my sun
room. This spring I discarded the old plant that had become overgrown and
woody and planted the cutting. in its place. It's doing fine. I find
rosemary far easier to grow in 6b than lavender, which will not tolerate wet
feet during the winter. Rosemary is far more forgiving and seems to thrive
on a bit of water and fertilization during hot weather. BTW, the original
rosemary had grown to 2 1/2' X 2 1/2' when discarded.

John