Old 15-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Richard A. Lewis

Default Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

"Fran" wrote:

Oh for Heavens sake! You are being patronising and heading off the track
into pure fantasy. Bucket asked about a self sufficient lifestyle. Bucket
did NOT ask about a vegan lifestyle or what the many froot loops at
misc.survivalism go on about when they congregate for a fantasy session.

Sorry, Fran. I don't know who the hell "Bucket" is nor do I really
care. I was replying to Dan, Linda, Noah, Gunner etc.

Snipped a bunch of useless bullshit....

I remember once asking how many gardeners there were in misc.survivalism and
there were about 3 who admitted to it

Ask how many gardeners in your group know how to treat a colicky mare
or how to go about butchering a hog and I'd venture a guess that not
many care to know. One such as yourself could argue that it's "a part
of farming"....

In misc.survivalism, only the absolute hardcore folks bother to plan
or prep for your Doomsday....most, plan and prep for the next blizzard
or thunderstorm etc.

Snipped more useless garbage....

Right about now, someone on the gardening groups will be typing out an
irate "but my family did it during the Depression and I grew up just
fine".

Nuff said.

More garbage snipped....

No mention of eating only spuds or even adding the odd cauliflower or bit of
corn. Fantasy can be fun at times but all you are doing is restricting the
topic to one hobby horse involving a restricted set of annual vegetables.

No....I was answering a fellow who made the implied claim that growing
a year's worth of food in a garden was easy. Was I wrong?

ral